I'd have shared sooner, but I wiped my computor out (what a knucklehead) and
among lots more, I lost all E-mail addresses!I even lost the E-mail address
that I sent my letter to Muhaammad Ali through!).  I'm just so happy, I was
called yesterday by the Executive Director of the National Parkinsons
Foundation (NPF)!! He said the message I E-mailed to
Muhammad Ali was received, and Ali actually got it!! Yay!! And my letter will
be  published in the next NPF newsletter! I only dreamed Ali might read it. I
hope it makes him smile.

Like most of us, some of us with PD aren't able to participate as much as
others, When writing to Muhammad Ali, I felt bittersweettness - sweet
gratitude to him for helping us and grateful that Ali and most of us have
strength (though be it at degrees), to fight back some way, and heartbreak
for my friends that I had seen moving well when I was first diagnosed but I
now visit and see them imprisoned in hospital beds in nursing care homes, and
of friends who have lost their loved ones by PD-related death.They all fought
PD before us and we benefit by what doctors have learned from them... we owe
it to them, to ourselves, and those after us to stop PD here and now. Here's
sharing with you all:

July 23, 1996 7:13am

Dear Mohammad Ail,

I hope somehow this reaches you.

Yet still, you are the greatest! You have rekindled hope for so many around
the world. My daughter called me excitedly yelling "mom ! Put the TV on ! Put
it on !" And as I did, I saw you walk up and light the Olympic Torch! I
caught my breath as tears of admiration and gratitude for you rolled down my
cheeks. I heard my daughter on the phone trying to choke back a sob. The
impact of your appearance and lighting that marvelous torch was
tremendous for us and for so many around the world who are affected by
Parkinsonism.

Those who struggle to take steps, and those who no longer can, felt every
step you took. We felt the same shaking and the same grip that prevents us
from spontaneously cheering, waving our arms, carelessly and freely jumping
and swaying and clapping like the rest of the audience watching. But your
presence is a strong reminder to the world, that we still feel, we still
dream, and yes especially now - we celebrate with you the opening of the
Olympic Games.

Although we cannot move, we happily celebrate with joy, the magnificent and
beautiful miracles of healthy competitors. The embers of our own spirit,
almost smothered by Parkinsonism sparked and also burst into a beautiful
flame of hope, for the world to see. We want the world to see Parkinsons - we
will no longer "be invisible to the world". The flame
you lit represents the Olympics but it also represents the spirit we are
putting forth to fight Parkinsons.

Over the years you were followed by many who were struggling but were
'nvisible' to the world's caregivers. Your example gives us the hope and the
incentive to tough it out. To be seen. To be heard. To fight back.

And you continue...    You've done allot for us who have Parkinsonism. We've
been invisible for so long, but it's time to be seen. With your help, we are
not invisible anymore. . I don't know how I can ever help you , but please
call on me anytime, and I'll do my best.. My name is Maryhelen Davila.  I
live in Phoenix Arizona.  I was diagnosed with Parkinsons at age 37.And I'm
doing all I can to help pass the "Morris K. Udall Parkinsons Research and
Education Act " to get research federal U.S. funds for Parkinsons.

Millions affected by Parkinsonism worldwide share my feelings. The effort is
not limited to Arizona, or to the United States, but it is shared by so many
across the world who know now is the time. It's time to stop Parkinsons. Now
is the time to tell our Senators and Congressmen to pass the bill. America
needs to take the lead, the world is ready.

I feel I know this is your greatest fight, because it's my fight too, and
it's the fight of many. It will take the strength of all of us together, and
together we'll do it! With your help Muhammad Ali, we'll knock-out 'PD'!!

Just had to express my Thanks to you. Thank you Muhammad Ali !!

Maryhelen Davila
3020 W. Morrow, Phoenix Arizona 85027
phone 602 581-3491  FAX 602 581-3491
E-mail   [log in to unmask]