Open Letter to God (Revisited)

A year ago today, I sat in front of my computer (sore, hot, and depressed)
typing an "open letter to God". I was frustrated at the dyskinesia I was
experiencing more regularly and embarassed because of wetting myself a
short time before when I couldn't work the key to open the door to my
apartment and/or manipulate my zipper. I talked of "not wanting to go on
living" and the possibility of getting a pallidotomy at Kaiser Hospital
here in California. It was a great release for me putting my feelings in
writing to a whole group of strangers and "telling PD secrets" that were
making my world seem like some sort of twisted dream.

I'm still planning on having a pallidotomy done at Kaiser (Sacramento); my
surgery will probably be in September (the original date was mid-May). I've
completed the preliminary videotaping of "on and off performances" that
will serve as a "before surgery" marker (and a reminder of how tough things
were).  I'm hoping that the benefits of the surgery will be great and that
any complications (slurring speech, etc.) will be minimal or nonexistent.

While grocery shopping recently, I had trouble getting my wallet out of my
pocket and returning it to my pocket once the clerk had taken out the
purchase amount. A woman behind me in line saw that I was struggling and
helped me with my struggles. As I was leaving the store, she came up to me
and said "I just want you to know how brave I think you are" (I didn't know
how to respond since I often buy groceries when I'm hungry and/or in need
of supplies and never considered this an act of bravery).  So I asked her
"What do you mean?". She said "You know, to continue to go out in public
like this". I realized that I must look pretty bad at times to draw remarks
like this from total strangers. The symptoms and side-effects just go along
with the rest of PD; trying to hide this part from others seems more
difficult now ..... but I still try sometimes.

I think I've become more reclusive since a year ago. I was invited to a
4th-of-July dinner party next door and declined at the very last minute.
The thought of answering questions about "what I do with my time" or "tell
me more about PD" gave me much apprehension (and dyskinesia"). The fact
that I did not share the same dreams with this 40-something  crowd also
bothered me (I'd overheard some of the people talking about their careers,
families, homes, and vacations). It's very difficult to explain to people
not informed about PD that a good day for me is "being able to shave in the
morning, go shopping OR do laundry, eat a meal out with semi-confidence,
and write or call friends later in the evening".

For some reason, I was reluctant to give up pants and shorts with zippers
and  shirts with buttons ...... no more. My summer attire is shorts and a
nice T-shirt (period). The winter usually finds me in shorts or sweatpants
and T-shirt and/or sweatshirt (have any of you with PD found your
metabolism running just a little hotter than others?..it takes quite a
chill for me to be bothered).

Making this "YOP fashion statement" has made all the difference in the
world (public restrooms no longer fluster me). I try to utilize "on" times
to reduce the number of "accidents". This is really hard to take sometimes
since I find myself identifying more with people's parents or grandparents
in discussing things like "I lose my balance sometimes during the day and I
fall or bump into things"..."Yeah, I do that too". I look at the bruises
that appear from time to time on my arms and legs and wonder "what is my
rate of progression?".

I talked to someone in this group who is in their early 50's recently. This
person told me that their PD had advanced so quickly that they were
thinking of checking into  a nursing home. I asked "You're really going to
ride this thing through to the end?". They said "I've thought about
suicide; how about you, David?" I replied "Who hasn't?. I told them that
the odd thing about thoughts of suicide is that when I'm "on" and my meds
are working, I rarely think about it...life is do-able. But when I'm "off",
the thoughts creep in and I realize that I don't have the dexterity or
initiative to follow through on anything (ironically, this is a type of
built-in safety mechanism for folks with PD). I've come to recognize these
periods as "the PD-blues" .... when life seems bleak but I do know that it
will eventually pass. I heard someone explain it in this way:

"I am NOT responsible for the first thought that enters my head.
I am responsible, however, for entertaining that thought".

I still don't like living with PD;just getting through each day often seems
like one of the "great labors of Hercules". I continue to do what I still
can while patiently awaiting surgery that will give me back some of the
time that I thought was lost forever. I hope they fund/find a cure soon for
everyone's sake.

Thanks for listening.

-David Boots