David,

Thanks again for being brave enough to talk about the difficult things that
others need to hear.  In July of 1994 I attended the first Parkinson's Action
Network Forum in Washington, D.C. You were there as well. I thought I knew
plenty about PD from seeing my father live with it for 14 years, but I had a
lot to learn.  One night a group of about ten of 'us' had a late dinner at
the hotel restaurant.  There were lots of jokes, and a jovial atmosphere
enhanced by good food and drink and a new sense of purpose and camraderie.

Then the conversation turned to suicide.  Most of the people in the group,
which mainly consisted of young onset PD'ers, matter-of-factly admitted that
they had contemplated the ultimate solution.  Some had already made plans
describing what sets of intolerable symptoms would eventually push them to
take their own life.  It was a sobering moment because it made me painfully
aware of the intensity of their suffering despite the outward appearance of
coping.

David, thanks for sharing your thoughts.  Your writing, and the prose and
poetry of others, is extremely valuable because it communicates the severity
of PD far more effectively than presentations about symptoms, medications and
the latest miracles of scientific research.

Good luck.  Keep the Faith.

Ken Aidekman