A support group in Chicago would like to publish the following 1994
msg in their newsletter, but have been unable to contact Mr.
Ahlstrom. If anyone knows anything about this msg, please contact me.
Thanks!

    Date:         Fri, 16 Dec 1994 12:05:42 -0500
    From:         "Russell J. Ahlstrom" <[log in to unmask]>
    Subject:      "A LETTER FOR MY FRIENDS"

    The following was written by a member of our support group
    and is the best example of what it is like to live with
    Parkinson's that I have ever found. I want to share it with
    you (list members). I would appreciate any reaction to it.

                      A Letter For My Friends

    I have Parkinson's Disease. It is not catching or hereditary.
    No one knows what causes it, but some of the dopamine cells
    in the brain begin to die at an accelerated rate. Everyone
    slowly loses some dopamine cells as they grow older. If the
    cells suddenly begin to die at a faster rate, Parkinson's
    disease develops. It is a slowly progressive disease usually
    occurring as people get older. Medicine can help. I'll take
    newer, stronger kinds over the years. Some make me sick and
    take lots of adjustment. Stick with me. I have my good days
    and bad days.

    EMOTIONS - Sometimes I cry and appear to be upset and you
    think you have done something to hurt my feelings. Probably
    not. It is the Parkinson's. Keep talking to me.  Ignore the
    tears. I'll be O.K. in a few minutes.

    TREMORS - You are expecting me to shake. Maybe I do, maybe I
    don't. Medicine today takes care of some of the tremors. If
    my hands, feet or head are shaky, ignore it. I'll sit on my
    hand or put it in my pocket. Treat me as you always have.
    What is a little shakiness between friends?

    MY FACE - You think you don't entertain me anymore because
    I'm not grinning or laughing. If I appear to stare at you, or
    have a wooden expression, that's the Parkinson's.  I hear
    you. I have the same intelligence. It just isn't as easy to
    show facial expressions. If swallowing is a problem, I may
    drool. This bothers me, so we'll mop up.

    STIFFNESS - We are ready to go somewhere and as I get up,  I
    can hardly move. Maybe my medicine is wearing off. This
    stiffness or rigidity is part of the Parkinson's. Let me take
    my time. Keep talking. I'll get there eventually. Trying to
    hurry me won't help. I can't hurry. I must take my time.
    If I seem jerky when I start out, that's normal. It will
    lessen as I get moving.

    EXERCISE - I need to walk each day. Two or three miles is
    good. Walk with me. Company makes walking fun. It may be a
    slow walk, but I'll get there. Remind me if I slump or stoop.
    I don't always know I'am doing this. My stretching, bending,
    pushing exercises must be done every day. Help with them if
    you can.

    MY VOICE - As my deeper tones disappear, you'll notice my
    voice is getting higher and wispy.  That's the Parkinson's.
    Listen to me. I know you can talk louder, faster, and finish
    my sentences for me. I hate that! Let me talk, get my
    thoughts together and speak for myself. I'm still there. My
    mind is O.K. Since I'm slower in movement, my thoughts are
    slower too. I want to be part of the conversation. Let me
    speak.

    SLEEPLESSNESS - I may complain that I can't sleep. If I
    wander around in the middle of the night, that's the
    Parkinson's. It has nothing to do with what I ate or how
    early I went to bed. I may nap during the day. Let me sleep
    when I can. I can't always control when I'm tired or feel
    like sleeping.

    Patience my friend. I need you. I'm the same person, I've
    just slowed down. It's not easy to talk about Parkinson's,
    but I'll try if you really want to know. I need my friends.
    I want to continue to be part of life. Please remain my
    friend.

    To me that says it all !

    Regards,

    Russ Ahlstrom   Russe23681