On Mon, 5 Aug 1996, Marcy Bauman wrote:

>         Which reminds me of something else I was wondering (and about
> which the museum exhibit was unclear):  The exhibit mentioned that the
> Canadiens were started because someone or other (sorry, hockey fans, I'm
> fuzzy on just exactly who) wanted to see a Francophone team.

Wasn't there a period of overlap during which the Montreal Maroons and the
Canadiens co-existed?  Apparently, the Maroons were conspicuously an
anglophone team supported by anglophone Montrealers.  That context may
have helped define the Canadiens as the francophone team.

Aside from the occasional symbolic English-French battle (e.g., fans
rioting against anglophone Clarence Campbell's suspension of francophone
Rocket Richard), the status of the Canadiens as legend seems to have
transcended ethnic and linguistic boundaries.  I guess we are all eager to
find solidarity with a winner.

John

JOHN B. KILLORAN

Professional Writing Programme             Department of English
Erindale College                           University of Waterloo
University of Toronto                      Waterloo, Ontario
3359 Mississauga Road North                N2L 3G1
Mississauga, Ontario                       [log in to unmask]
L5L 1C6                                    (519) 885-1211 ext.3886