I've been investigating an educatonal licenses for the
Oracle Database package.  It turns out that Oracle has a
fairly generous package that provides educational access
to almost all of their software.  See details below.

ANYONE INTERESTED IN FORMING A CONSORTIUM TO GET THIS
SOTWARE AT UofT, please identify yourselves.

Dave Wortman, Department of Computer Science
[log in to unmask]    978-6055

P.S.  If you are wondering why I'm doing this instead of
UTC Licensing folks, it's because they don't have a clue
about educational licenses for Oracle and the commercial
license they were trying to sell me would have cost about $40K.

GORY DETAILS GORY DETAILS GORY DETAILS GORY DETAILS GORY DETAILS

Oracle Educational Institution Program License Agreement

Cost is C$5,000/year for unlimited users

Products included:
	Oracle Database Servers (Workgroup and Enterprise)
	long list of Oracle database options including
		distrubted and networking
	Personal Oracle, Oracle WebServer,
	{Developer,Designer,Discoverer,Programmer} 2000
	Oracle Power Objects, SQL*Plus, Procedural Builder

Software is available on all hardware/OS platforms supported by Oracle.

The license allows for use "solely for non-commercial classroom
and educational purposes provided that such use excludes the
Licensee's own internal data processing operation".
Educational use includes use in research (e.g. graduate theses).

We're allowed to make unlimited copies of the programs and documentation
for the purposes cited above.

License includes "Bronze" level support (whatever that means).

Fairly standard set of conditions to protect their intellectual
property rights.  There is a restriction on "disclosure of results
of any benchmark tests of the Program to any third party without
Oracle's prior written approval."

OBLIGATORY WEB PAGE REFERENCE

http://www.oracle.com/