In message <[log in to unmask]> Mark writes:
>> So this brings up the obvious question:  Besides the seemingly-reliable
>> madhaus.utcs, and the perhaps-someday-reliable ntp.astro, is there some
>> third system on campus that it would make sense to add to our lists of
>> NTP servers to poll?

There are two stratum 1 time servers on campus (ntp.on.canet.ca -- Lee
preferred that people not sync to this one) and ntp.astro.  There are a
couple of stratum 2 servers that peer to both on and off-campus servers
(ferut.sys and madhaus.utcs, I believe).   At CDF, we sync with
the two stratum 2 servers I mentioned, plus ntp.astro.  Because of the wise
counsel of ferut.sys and madhaus.utcs :-), xntpd on our systems has been
smart enough to figure out not to bother with ntp.astro lately.

Ideally, we should have another clock/stratum 1 timeserver on campus.

Regards,

John
--
John DiMarco <[log in to unmask]>                        Office: EA201B
Computing Disciplines Facility Systems Manager            Phone: 416-978-1928