Hi everybody,

Sorry for interrupting the summer, but I was struck bu this when reading today:

In York Play XLIV, The Death of the Virgin, two Jews ask Mary to intercede
for them because 'thou arte curtaise and comen of oure kynde'.  I was struck
by the phrase and wondered how much awareness was there of the Jewishness of
Mary and Jesus in the late Middle Ages?

A further question ensued: the Jews don't ask to convert to Christianity,
but Mary intercedes for them anyway.  The creeds (the Athanasian Creed in
particular) state very specifically that salvation is not possible outside
the Church.  Was this an absolute?

Thanks,

Le gach dea-ghui

Tony Corbett