REEDers and PERFORMers--

I hope some of you will be interested in the call for papers on The
Medieval Face: Art, Drama, Literature posted below. My colleague Susan
Yager and I are hoping to get papers from a variety of fields to make
our sessions truly cross- and inter-disciplinary. After reading the
call,if you have questions regarding the scope of the sessions or are in
doubt as to whether your subject might match our needs, you can reach my
voice mail at (515) 294-3013. Leave a message and I'll return your call
as soon as I can.

To those of you on both REED-L and PERFORM, I apologize for this
duplicate posting. :-)

Thanks for your attention,
Gloria Betcher

CALL FOR PAPERS FOR THE THIRTY-SECOND INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS ON MEDIEVAL
STUDIES--WESTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY, KALAMAZOO, MI, 8-11 MAY 1997
                               2 SESSIONS ON

                THE MEDIEVAL FACE: ART, DRAMA, LITERATURE

Medieval playwrights, artists, and writers used the face to reveal and
conceal aspects of character. The complexion, physiognomy, or
presentation of the face could indicate the subject's social or
spiritual standing. The face could also, however, deceive or dissemble.

We invite abstracts on all aspects of FACE IN THE MIDDLE AGES: color,
persona, masking, disguise, effigies and/or portraits, the symbolism of
features, the face in stagecraft, prosopopoeia, etc. To promote
interdisciplinarity and a variety of viewpoints, we encourage proposals
which approach the topic rhetorically, theoretically, iconographically,
or philologically.

Send abstract along with complete mailing address, e-mail, and phone/fax
numbers by Sept. 15 to:

Gloria Betcher and Susan Yager **       e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Dept. of English               **               [log in to unmask]
Iowa State University          **
206 Ross Hall                  **       fax: (515) 294-6814
Ames, IA 50011-1201            **