        Gary Zimmerman.
        Dear Gary:      I'm replying to your message to the PD Network with
regard to the hallucinogenic effect of the antiviral, amantadine.
Amantadine is a strange drug. Itwas discovered as an antiviral agent of
limited use against the influenza virus. Because of its low efficacy and
the mildness of most infuenza the drug has limted use. Hallucinations may
show up on prolonged use and large amounts used in PD, and both the
antiviral and anti-PD effects are readily reversible. In fact, not only do
we not know how it works, it ids questionable wether amantadine is actually
a weak hallucinogen. "hallucinogen" is dificult to define and recognize.
Therer are far more effective hallucinogenic effecfs from pergolide, that
may last longer and be less reversible. Hpw amantedne acts is problematical:
dopamine release or uptake, anticholinergic actions (??) In fact are these
"real" hallucination or reflect the fears these symptoms induce. I have had
mild hallucinations from pergolide (0.75 mg/day), but they rarely bother me,
I think because I know what to expect, and there are far worse drugs that
produce serious delusions.
        In other words, try putting your hallucinations in perspective.
Also, don't be emberrassed to discuss you sightings and fears with a friend
who will take your feelings seriously. Try to rescue the bushes.
       I hope this helps,    Steven

>-)
>

> Any info on Symettrel or what drugs may cause or exacerbate hallucinations
> would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- Gary Zimmerman

Steven E. Mayer, Ph.D.