David and All:

We now have first, second and third hand information on lobbying techniques;
and the concomitant positive, negative or no results.

We have written letters of absolute eloquency (see Bob Martone's letter as
an example), sent postcards with a handwritten messages, telephoned, faxed,
e-mailed and personally visited offices of the legislators.

We have been treated with some interest, no interest, courtesy, and
deplorable lack of courtesy (see Ivan Suzman's post about the offensive
treatment from Bilirakis' office).

What works best? WHAT EVER IS YOUR BEST EFFORT!! We have been told that the
order of effectiveness is:
1) lobbying your own State's Senator/Representative by: a) personal meeting,
b) hand written letter/card, c) telephone call, d) fax, and e) e-mail.

2) lobbying "unrelated" officials by the same methods.

So, David your comment about all of us getting off our "duffs" is RIGHT ON!
Let's use this month of August with a renewed burst of energy. There are
resources available in terms of sample letters, lists of congress people,
lists of co-sponsors to keep interested, lists of those who are still not
co-sponsors.. Please make a commitment to do something every day, there is
no limit to the number of times contact can be made.
Margaret Tuchman