Margy Hansell said it best when we  cried  over the phone about  Alan's
death:  "It's as if a net has been pulled  out from  under us."  It was
natural to call him "pater familias".    How often he helped me through
hard times.  I feel as though I've lost my own father.

How relentlessly and gently  he egged me on to do  more for our young onset
support  group in Los Angeles.  "Sounds like you  don't have enough to do.
I always ask the busiest person when I want  something done."   He was the
busiest of all:  writer, editor, publisher of a monthly newsletter with a
fresh, homespun quality, leader of support groups, speaker for groups all
over the state, and phone confidant for hundreds.

He was a cheerful iconoclast.  The last talk he gave  us was "What Your
Doctor Won't Tell You" which covered Tom Reiss' research on visual cues,
the eldepryl controversy, depression and family life issues.  He was
unafraid, and never hesitated to go to the top to  seek answers to his
endless questions.

Maybe  in the light of day when some of the tears have dried I will
question the wisdom of sending on to you the last post he sent to a few of
us.  But tonight it helps.  It conjures up the warm chuckle of his laugh,
and it typifies  the whacky humor that was one of his  most lovable traits.
Plus the punch line says it all.