Update: My brother (Dale 42/6) has just come home after having a unilateral
pallidotomy! The results are amazing!  :-)      I'm getting carried away
here, I'm sorry. :-} The surgery was performed by Grossman,Krauss, Lai
<sp?>, Jankovich <sp?> et al @ Methodist in Houston. The results have been
especially surprising because his PD is considered "atypical" by these MDs
and they went to great lenghts to warn us that this procedure was
completely untested in this situation.
The "atypical" moniker was applied for various reasons; Primarily because
his tremor was completely unresponsive to Sinemet and everything else they
threw at it. This team of MDs has done forty-three UPDs, but all of these
were on patients who had benefited at least somewhat from drug therapy.
Dr. Kruass rated the outcome "good to excellent" and inferred that this
could change the elligibility of some other "atypical" patients. Dale's
symptoms were numerous: severe tremor (right hand), severe pain (right
shoulder), lesser tremor (left hand), stoop, shuffle, slurred speech,
balance, dyskensia (Sinemet) etc. His hope was for the return of some
utility of his right hand and maybe a reduction of the shoulder pain. What
he got was astounding: full "normality" of the right hand (dexterity,
writing skills), absence of right shoulder pain, improved gait, normal
speech and more.
While I know this sounds idyllic (and may sound like '20/20'), I'm not
glossing over any negative points; If there are any ill effects, Dale has
not noticed them. Of course, the surgery was only four days ago and there
could always be something around the bend....
Yesterday he began taking a new med. I believe he said it was
"trihexapheno-something", and as you can tell, I jotted it right down! :-}
Two days post-op he had cranial swelling which has now subsided. His only
complaint now is that he's exhausted and that he's had enough of my
questions.  I'll keep buggin' him anyways, and try to update the list on
his progress every so often... I'm still in awe of the power of medicine,
technology, and God Almighty. I'm curious about other atypical parkies and
whether or not anyone has been declared inelligible for UPD because of this
classification while meeting other criteria ( age, general health, etc.)
?? Thanx for listening.             R L Slaughter      <[log in to unmask]>