To Gilbert and Ron -

I have had two different episodes of red patches and this is what I learned.

1) amantadine (symmetrel) can cause a purple-red mottling of the skin on
legs and feet. There is no change in the skin's surface.  With me it
accompanied a swelling in knees and ankles which made my arthritis worse.
When I stopped amantadine to find out whether the knee swelling was due
to  pill or arthritis,
the purple gradually disappeared.

2)Right now I have a fading (Ihope) patch of thin-shiney-red skin obove
my left ankle.  It has been there for years but suddenly got worse about
a year ago. My family dr tried this and that  and finally a 6 month wait
for a dermatologist.  Who said
a)a name I cant'd remember
b)Poor circulation.  Very likely due to Parkinson's affecting the set
ofmuscles that push blood up the legs.
c)that is how those hard to heal leg ulcers can start.
d) elevate /exercise/ steroid creme/ and a call back to his leg clinic.

3) A third type of red patch  bothered a friend. They were small nasty
looking patches on his forehead due to excessively oily scalp. Again
Parkison related.

Hope this helps.
Anne Rutherford
Newfoundland