I have been searching for information on this new drug for a while now. I
have been putting off writing to you about it though, because I have been
afraid that my high hopes would be shattered.
It's called Glial Derived Neurotrophic Factor. I have heard so many things
about this, some of which are kinda unbelievable (unbelievable in a bad way).
The first thing I heard was that it was present in fetal brains, and
therefore was supposed to actually grow new nerve cells. I wrote to, and
received a reply from a Dr. Greene at Columbia University last fall. The
point of my letter was to inquire about fetal tissue implants. He said that I
would not be a candidate for their study, due to the post-synaptic nature of
my injury. He also said that the main reason for giving the implants to
normal Parkinson's patients was to supply dopamine producing brain cells.
But, he added, if this was the only reason for doing the surgery, it would
not be in my interest to get one, ever. However, these fetal tissues might
supply trophic factors, which would be of benfit to me.
The next thing I read about this was that GDNF was simply supposed to make
brain cells work more efficiently. This news was a little less promising. I
have heard that about a number of other drugs.
Then came the worst new of all (for me). I heard that GDNF was just supposed
to protect surviving neurons. Hell, that doesn't do me any good. It may sound
selfish and self-centered, but I have lost all of the neurons that I am going
to lose. I need new receptors. The first thing I heard sounded the best.
If anyone there has heard anything about this, please speak up. I can tell
you what I already know. Clinical human trials were set to start this year,
and the manufacturer is Amgen Inc. in Modesto CA.
ANYTHING ELSE.