For  the most part I am a silent listener to these daily postings, too
inefficient to devote time to EBB correspondence and to attend to the PD project
with which some might suggest   I have become obsessed  over the past several
years.   I also must confess to an initial reluctance to express my feelings
regarding Alan in the cyber medium - too faceless and devoid of emotion (a
hauntingly familiar problem within the PD community).  But then it occurred to
me that this was the primary means by which Alan touched the lives of so many
people and that perhaps in some way it is an appropriate forum to express these
thoughts.

Grief has been a familiar and constant companion in my life over the past decade
- I grieve for my lost life.  There is no closure when as the pathology evolves
the loss  expands.    Gradually the things which in a former life gave me great
pleasure have become useless artifacts of a vaguely remembered time recalled by
an occasionally encountered photograph or  unassociated thought. And yet in
spite of the downward spiral  I am rarely morose or depressed and never without
hope.  In fact I am amazed at how little it takes  to  sustain my   basic joy of
life.  In the words of   a perhaps  banal  but certainly influential
contemporary philosopher "love is all there is", and as the years go by and
these artifacts pile up  this phrase seems to hold ever increasing validity.  It
survives all the cruel and outrageous fortunes of life - in fact I believe it is
the one thing that survives life itself.  The immortality of this phenomenon
sustains me, isolates  my grief and prevents    it  from overwhelming my spirit.
Alan was my friend. We traveled together, confided in one another and suffered
and joyed together as friends do.  He was and continues to be a source of  joy
and sustenance, a force and presence which continues to exist  regardless  of
how time might change the form of its embodiment.  And although I cannot talk
with you as I talked with you before,  the specifics of our conversations were
never as important as your presence in my life and that hasn't and never will
change.  Though we are all individuals apart from other individuals as a
consequence of time, distance or dimension this force  reveals that  this
"separateness"   is really illusory.

"two distinct divisions, none,
 number there in love was slain"

tom riess