There was an article about GDNF in the Wall Street Journal for 21 Mar 1996.
Briefly, GDNF is one of several elements present in very young organisms
that seem to direct nerve growth while the brain is still forming. It has
stimulated nerve growth in the lab, alleviated symptoms of induced PD in
monkeys, and most recently reported to help reconnect completely severed
spinal cords in rats. From all this you can see that despite its great
promise, it's a long long way from human therapy.
Cheers,
Joe

J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road