                                 RTK.NET Mail 187048   Aug  5 22:39:39 1996

Here's what I know so far:

GDNF is a nerve growth factor and will hopefully both prevent future cell
death and restore and/or improve the function of existing cells.  While
I have no idea if fetal tissue implants increase production of GDNF, the
substance is produced in a lab from mature glial cells (unless I'm
misunderstanding what I've read and heard, it's happened before!)

Although I remember the presentation on GDNF at the PAN forum quite well,
I have a very modest science background and apologize for any
misunderstandings I may be introducing here.  While the fact that GDNF may
limit progression in PD by preventing future cell death is one of the most
exciting possibilities, what it's actually been shown to do in animal
studies is reverse damage in MPTP treated monkeys.  I don't know how
the CO damage you've experienced compares to MPTP damage, but if it's
similar, then I would guess that it would be quite likely that GDNF might
help you.  GDNF encourages "sprouting", which basically means each nerve
makes more connections to other cells.  This could allow existing neurons
to improve their function enough to make up for some of the lost function
from the neurons that have died.

I can say that the videotapes of the primates that were rendered parkinsonian
on one side and then given GDNF were quite remarkable.

It won't hurt to try and contact one of the researchers at Amgen.  I couldn't
find our presenter's name in my notes, but for some reason the name "Collins"
sticks in my head.  There is also a researcher at the University of
Kentucky named Don Gash who has done some significant GDNF research in
case you'd rather get an opinion from a academic rather than commercial
researcher.  I also saw a cryptic scrawl in my notes that seemed to
indicate that fetal tissue implants would not produce GDNF since GDNF is
produced by glial cells and not the nerve cells themselves.

The first human trials are scheduled to begin in the fall.  The goal in
early trials is to verify that GDNF and its current delivery methods are
safe, and they will mostly be using people who are in pretty bad shape.  If
you didn't already know, GDNF must be delivered directly into the brain,
so patients will have a tube and injection port inserted through a hole
in the skull and leading to a ventrical space in the brain.  Even though
a lot of preparatory work has been done to find methods that will have
the lowest potential of harm to the patient, there are plenty of potential
problems.  If there are no serious problems and the results are great in
each phase of the human trials, GDNF could begin to be commercially
available in 4-5 years.

I hope some of this information will be helpful to you.

Sherri Cave