Tuesday, August 6, 1996

BULLETIN CONCERNING RENA FINK

To all of my Internet friends:

As many of you know, my daughter Rena, age 18, was scheduled
to undergo a cardiac ablation procedure yesterday, August 5,
1996.  This procedure was successfully completed at the
University of California Medical Center, Sa
n Francisco; and Rena came home from the hospital this
morning.

Rena had been suffering, for some 8 years, with a cardiac
arrhythmia which resulted in intermittent rapid heartbeat,
which on some occasions, resulted in her heart rate
exceeding 200 beats per minute.  When these extremel
y rapid rates occurred, she would become dizzy; and,
recently, actually "passed out" on several occasions.  This
arrythmia was initially felt to be "innocent", but
subsequent testing revealed, in 1992, that it was due to
several abnormal areas of conduction fibers in the heart
muscle, and it was suggested then that a new procedure,
called "electrophysiological ablation" be tried.  This
procedure, involving the insertion of catheters into
the heart, localization of the abnormal areas, and then
destruction of these areas with a radiofrequency current.

In 1992, the procedure held great promise; but the risks of
same included destruction of vital areas which, if such
occurred, would have required that Rena wear a pacemaker for
the rest of her life.  We decided, 4 years a
go, to decline the procedure; and, for a time, medication
kept the problem under control.

Recently, however, the medication no longer prevented the
"passing out" episodes; and we had Rena re-evaluated by the
cardiology group at the University of California, San
Francisco, one of the premier groups in the count
ry.  The procedure had been improved since 1992 and the San
Francisco group has one of the largest successful series in
the world.  We decided to go ahead with the operation, and
this was what was done yesterday.

Rena underwent the surgery yesterday, a rigorous six-hour
procedure (in which she was required to remain awake, under
light sedation), and which required the ablation of several
abnormal areas, including one on the opposi
te side of the heart (the left).  In the past, this required
a second access route, through an artery (which was more
difficult and dangerous), but the group at UCSF has
developed a technique of crossing over to the left
side inside the heart by using a special catheter which
makes a small hole in the septum between the two sides; and,
while this is also somewhat riskier than a more common
right-sided ablation, it was done in Rena's case
with no complications.

At the end of the six-hour procedure, Rena's former
debilitating arrhythmia was completely gone; and, after a
few days of convalescence (for healing of the multiple
puncture sites in the neck and groin), Rena should retur
n to a normal life, free of her "passing out" episodes, and
no longer requiring *any* medication.  There is about a 10%
risk of recurrence of arrythmia (in which case, the
procedure can be repeated); but, at this point, w
e are indeed happy over the results.

This has been a harrowing experience for all of us.  In
Rena's case, it was painful (and having to lie still, awake,
while this is being done for more than six hours), and
nerve-wracking.  In my case, as a physician, I "k
new too much" and this made it hard, also; but the most
difficult part of the experience for me was the recurrence
of many of the thoughts of powerlessness and frustration,
this dating back to when my first wife, Doris, w
as in surgery for a condition (ovarian cancer) which proved
resistant to modern medical science, and which resulted in
her death, at age 47, some eleven years ago.  I experienced
many of the same feelings which I had when
 Doris died, and did not allow myself to "relax" until well
after Rena's doctor told me that things were going well and
that the procedure had been a success.

So, for those of you who sent your best wishes, your
prayers, and your concern to Rena and her family, this is a
sincere "thank you" to all!  It will take a few more days
for me to return to "normalcy" (and also, sadly, t
o return to the other personal crises which fill my
existence these days); but Rena's health is now stabilized
and I am thankful to God and modern medical science for her
recovery.  Again, my gratitude to all my cyber-fri
ends; and please forgive the "group letter", but this was, I
felt, the best way to communicate the events to so many of
you.

All best,

Bob
--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
World Wide Web:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"