Good day,

        After watching this thread for some time, I thought I'd add my 02
cents.  To provide a bit of background, I build my living constructing
computer applications and developing processes that the 5000+ person
organization should follow as the applications are developed.  I also, in my
spare time, developed materials and trained my local 230+ person local
organization about the Internet, Newsgroups, and Listservs.

        Newsgroups are cool because they are discussion groups that are open
to everyone.  The problem is that not all Internet Providers bother to copy
all Newsgroups down to their own news servers.  Additionally, there was much
discomfort related to non-PD posts showing up on the PD Listserv because of
spamming.  A spam is essentially an unwanted, common message that is
inflicted on folks.  The Listserv program was modified so that only those
who have subscribed can post messages, no spamming.  By the way (BTW) and
for what it's worth (FWIW), the flurry of messages complaining about the
spams were worse than the spams.  I suspect we'd see the same things again.
A Newsgroup doesn't have the capability to limit posts because it's open to
anyone at any time.  These are just some things to keep in mind.

        As for the Listserv, it's just an Email program that allows one to
mail a message to a program so that all who have subscribed can receive the
same message.  People have to subscribe to receive the mail messages.  As
stated, a Listserv is nothing more than a program.  It has options that
allow subscribers to tailor the messages they receive.

        All of the Listservs I've used have a convention where one may find
out how to tailor their messages.  The method to use is to send a message to
the Listserv (see below for the address), not the list (there's a
difference), with nothing more than "info refcard" in the body of the
message.  Please note that the quote marks are not part of the command.  The
Listserv program will send a return message with the program's reference
card listed.

        Now, I told you all that to set the context for the following.  Each
and every one of us has the authority and responsibility to tailor our own
Listserv sessions.  Any person who chooses can set their session to receive
digests just as those who prefer not to can leave the default in place.  The
exact message to establish receiving messages as digests is as follows:

SET          listname options                  Alter your subscription options:

             DIGests/NODIGests/                -> Ask for digests rather
than getting
                                                  messages as they are posted

It is important to note that in the above message, the word "listname"
should be replaced by the word "PARKINSN" (with no quotes).  Following the
Listserv name, should be the command "Dig" (with no quotes).  The options
I've listed are either "DIG" or "NODIG" (with no quotes).  There are many
more but I've listed only the digest options.  A syntactically correct
message to set your session to receive digests would therefore be:

        SET PARKINSN DIG

The "NODIG" (with no quotes) will turn off the digest option and return your
session to receiving single messages as they are posted.

        Please don't quit reading yet.  I haven't specified the address you
should use to control your Listserv session.  It's not the PD List.  I
suspect that the list members would rather not see a plenteous, plethora of
"set parkinsn dig" messages.  The PD List has a different name.  When
controlling your very own session, please send your Listserv command to the
following:

        PD Listserv <[log in to unmask]>

Please note that the ID is "Listserv" and not "Parkinsn" (with no quotes).

        My suggestion:  Those of you who would prefer to receive messages as
digests, go for it, you are in control.  Those who don't, it's still your
very own choice and you probably don't have to do anything.

        Finally, newsgroups are cool but you probably should assess the
risks of some folks maybe not having access or entirely tooooooo many
turkeys inflicting unwanted messages on you.

Thus endth my 02 cents.

Jeff Jones