Date
The Honorable.......... ...........................
United States House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515
OR
The Honorable......................................
United States Senate
Washington, DC 20510

Dear Representative/Senator.........................,

I/we urge your help in passing S.684/S.1897/H.R.1462, the Morris K. Udall
Parkinson's Research bill.  The bill now has 60 Senate and 226 House
co-sponsors.  In the Senate it was amended into the NIH Reauthorization bill
by unanimous vote of the Labor and Human Resources Committee, and will go to
the floor for a vote after Labor Day.  IT IS TIME TO MAKE A FINAL PUSH FOR
PASSAGE, AND WE NEED YOUR HELP.

I(my husband/wife/parent etc.) suffer from Parkinson's disease, a progressive
neurological disorder that destroys brain cells controlling motor function
and eventually leaves its victims unable to walk, to talk, even to move.
 (Revise for your personal story if you wish).

Parkinson's is a devastating disorder, and financially cripples our nation:
 $25 billion in direct and indirect costs per year.  Meanwhile, U.S. support
for direct Parkinson's research currently amounts to less than $30 per year
per patient,  which is far less than most other diseases receive.  This is
unfair to the Parkinson's community, and it ignores a tremendous scientific
opportunity.  Scientists say they have the potential for MAJOR TREATMENT
ADVANCES, and maybe even a cure of Parkinson's in this decade.   But this
will not happen without adequate research.

We understand that time is running out in this legislative year.  TIME IS
RUNNING UT FOR US TOO.  With each passing day, we are closer to greater
disability, greater suffering and a greater financial burden to our families
and our country.  This can be stopped with a reasonable research investment,
which is what the Udall bill will do.

The Udall bill would authorize the necessary expansion of Parkinson's
research through strengthening of the NIH research effort, establishment of a
series of Parkinson's research centers nationwide, and other programs
including Morris K. Udall Research Excellence Awards and feasibility study
grants.

PLEASE DO NOT ALLOW OUR COMMUNITY TO BE IGNORED ANY LONGER.  To restore our
hope, and eliminate a huge economic burden on our government and economy, we
ask that you add your name as a co-sponsor of the Udall bill.  (If already a
co-sponsor, we ask that you do everything you can to ensure passage of the
Udall bill this year.)

Thank you for your attention.  Please respond at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,
(your name, address and phone number)