> home.  Distraction seemed to help her a lot.  Although she did have a young
> woman and baby that she saw consistenly every night for months.  My dad said
> she "let them sleep on the couch", and she checked on them every night before
> she went to bed.
>
> It did upset her more when we tried to tell her "it's just your medicine,
> they're not there".  She became angry, because to her, they were all too real.
> Wendy Henry (CG for Ruth, 77/4+)

As a nurse, I've seen lots of people hallucinate and have always resorted
to the teaching I received in nursing school - re-orient the patient;
tell them that what they see is not real.

A remarkably logical and intelligent friend of mine convinced me that
that approach was wrong when he shared his experience with the
hallucinations he suffered as a side effect following cardiac arrest.
He stated that his sense told him that what he was seeing was real, and
the conversations he was having were real.  Nothing anyone said would
shake his confidence in his perception.  Distraction helped to re-focus
his attention as well as latch on to his sanity.
-----
Peace and JOy
Mary Ann