Nancy Payne--welcome...I can't help with two-way talk suggestions, but
I think having PD books on tApe would be great.  Have you contacted any of the
PD organizations (US or CA) as to whether they might help with such a project?
The US Library of Congress has a wonderful "talking book" program for the
blind/handicapped--all free,even the machine to play tapes and postage back and
 forth.  Maybe they would add PD books to their very extensive holdings?
Let me know if you  want more info about that, & I can supply it.
Hope you get some ideas about "walkie-talkie" type systems.
Camilla Flintermann,CG for Peter 78/7 Oxford,OH