To:  INTERNET:[log in to unmask]

Rev. Berns,

My comment following:
>>I asked my neurologist why an implant and not a pallidotomy or
>>thalamotomy.  Answer:  If the implant would not work, I would
>>still be able to have a pallidotomy or thalamotomy; if I had a
>>pallidotomy or thalamotomy first it would close any chance for
an
>>implant.  The implant does not change the virgin nature of the
>>brain.

elicited your response:

>implant first if the result you are looking for is that of a
>pallidotomy or thalamatomy?  With an implant you have the
>problem of placing a foreign body in the brain, replacing
>batteries, and lead wires coming disconnected. Plus, I find the
*virgin* nature of the brain to be much overstated.  As one who
has had three brain surgeries- adrenal graft, reoval of an omaya
shunt, and bi-lateral pallidotomy - neither of the first two
adversely affected the outcome of the third.

>Another perspective from
>Don

What I was looking for was a cure if possible and a better
quality of life otherwise.  The implant is a fetal tissue implant
along with my sural nerve as my original post noted; neither
batteries nor wire leads are involved.  (I think you confused the
procedure with VIM.)  I can't speak to your 2 brain surgeries
prior to your bi-lateral pallidotomy; is it possible that they
did not change the virgin nature of the brain?

Bob <[log in to unmask]>