Kristin,

Your dad sounds quite a bit like me.  My initial symptoms were DXed as
arthritis but after about three more years I knew it was something
else (because of the ratcheting), so I insisted on seeing a neurologist.
On my first visit I had a detailed list of my symptoms and the
neurpologist said that, except for the absence of tremor, they were the
classic symptoms of Parkinsons Disease. (This was after his own
examination). My reaction was to ask what was the prognosis and treatment
alternatives. I had just started my graduate work and was in a research
mode anyway. I went to the medical library and read several books and
articles about PD.

My neurologist was the head of the Neurology Department at Walter Reed
Medical Center and he made me a partner in my treatment. He gave me the
alternatives and their indications and together we worked out a course of
treatment. Between visits I was encouraged to make changes in my
medications if I felt it might help. When my neurologist retired a couple of
years later, he said he was assighneing me to a new intern so I could teach
him a lot about Parkinsons Disease!

I had been DXed early enough so that for the fist three years my symptoms
could be entirely alleviated by the medication. It was then that I
volunteered to participate in a clinical trial fror Ropinerole. Although
it was a double blind study, I am absolutely certain I was taking the
placebo, because I began having extended periods of off times for the
first time. Although I was mentally prepared for it, it was still l a
struggle phychologically to cope with the increasing incapacity. At that
time I was the head programmer on a research project. Fortunately for me,
the project director was a geriatrics nurse practitioner specializing in
PD and Alzheimers. She hired an undergraduate to key in the code for me
and also informed the rest of the faculty what to expect in terms of the
mask face and a tendency to stare, etc.

Even so, as the disease became more dibilitating I did experience some
rather severe depression. Of course, there appears to be a link between
PD and depression. Like many parkies I went through a severe depression
about 10 years before I was DXed. There are some who believe that this is
the first indication of a dopamine deficit (the first physical symptome
don't appear until the dopamine is about 80 percent depleted). The
hardest part is keeping motivated. I have a tendency to say "why bother,
I can't do it anyway".

Perfect example: three years years ago I completed all my course work for
my PhD--all I had left to do was my dissertation. It has taken me these
three years just toto decide what I wanted to do my dissertation on! A
part of me is still saying, "why bother, nobody will hire you anyway."
This is where a good support group comes in handy. (The department
secretary has offered to type my dissertation for me and has said there
is noway I am not going to get to get my Phd.).

Another thing that is almost essential is a sense of humor. (You don't
need to label my medicine "Shake before taking"...I always shake before
taking.)

And finally you need a deep faith that says, "this too shall pass". I
don't have PD, I am an immortal entity who inhabits a body with PD. (My
other body is sypmtom free *G*). Through my weakness is God's strength
manifest. Three years ago I began composing music. Since trhen I have
composed over 40 songs and symphonic works including an Easter cantata
(which is available on my home page). I have become the percussionist for
a Christian band called "Souls Unlimited" (we do primarily Praise and
Worship songs).

I also volunteer for studies involving PD. Of course I am in a good area
for it. Both Johns Hopkins and the University of MD are active in PD
research plus NIH is just down the road. I also participate in "show and
tell" sessions for medical students where they get first hand experience
with PD symptoms.

I hope this has been of use to you.

Bruce
54/8
Sinemet CR & Pramipexole

Bruce G. Warr               "Experience is what enables us to recognize
Healthcare Informatics Lab   a mistake the next time we make it."
Information Systems Dept.
University of Maryland Baltimore County

http://umbc.edu/~warr/
(V) (410)455-3206