from:   [log in to unmask]     (Rosemary Russell)

Sorry I didn't send this to the list sooner.  I sent the following letter to
the Little Rock newspaper, the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, the first of July
not knowing if they would run it or not.  They ran it on July 30, as the
feature letter of the day.  I have had a lot of personal responses to it, and
only hope that it induced others to write, call, etc.. re the Udall bill.  (I
recently learned that Rep. Ray Thornton has agreed to co-sponsor the bill.)

               Parkinson's Disease
               Important Legislation

   An important piece of legislation is under consideration by the U.S. House
and Senate.  It is the Morris K. Udall Parkinson's Research and Education
Act, S.684 and H.R. 1462.
   Parkinson's disease research now receives only $26 per person in direct
funding, the least of any major disease.  There are approximately 1.5 million
Americans, including many Arkansans, afflicted with this devastating
degenerative disease.
   The financial burden of medical care, lost productivity and other costs is
estimated in excess of $25 billion per year and will only continue to mount
in the absence of a cure.
    Although Parkinson's disease mainly affects those over age 60, there has
been an alarming increase in the number of young people diagnosed with this
disease in the last two decades.  Scientists believe chemical and
evironmental toxins to be one of the reasons for this increase.
   According to scientists working in Parkinson's research, a cure within
five years is a definite possibility.  Not only that, but research in
Parkinson's disease can also lead to new discoveries benefiting other
neurological diseases.
   This legislation will correct research inequalities, providing $100
million per year for Parkinson's disease research, grant funding, support
programs and education, and will provide a national data bank and information
clearinghouse.
   Senator David Pryor and Rep. Tim Hutchinson have both agreed to co-sponsor
this important legislation.  The support of the entire Arkansas delegation is
needed.
   I urge everyone concerned about this issue to write, call or visit Senator
Dale Bumpers and Reps. Blanche Lincoln, Jay Dickey and Ray Thornton asking
them to co-sponsor the Morris K. Udall Parkinson's Research and Education
Act.

           --Rosemary Russell
             North Little Rock