At 09:19 AM 8/10/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>My name is Jane Westberg. I live in Boulder, Colorado. I'm a medical
>educator (a psychologist) on the faculty of the University of Colorado
>Health Science Center.
>
>My father has Parkinson's. He's 83 and doesn't yet feel up to tackling
>the NET, but he asked me if I could see if anyone has advise they can
>offer regarding a problem he's been having. I believe that people living
>with a condition have a wealth of information so I thought I would join
>this list and pose Dad's question but also stay on the list so I can
>dialogue with others about living with Parkinson's.
>
>For several months now, Dad's toes have been bothering him at night. They
>feel as if they are moving, when they are not. (He thinks that the
>condition is called "traveling extremeties.") Recently he has also been
>getting a burning sensation in his toes. He has far fewer problems with
>his toes during the day, especially when he's wearing socks and shoes. He
>has tried wearing socks and even slippers to bed, and that has helped a
>little, but not much. Dad says it feels good when his feet are massaged,
>but that it's difficult for him to get into a position where he can do
>that comfortably?
>
>Do any of you have any idea what may be going on? Do any of you have any
>recommendations as to what Dad can do?
>
>Jane Westberg   [log in to unmask]

Dear Jane,

This is not common in PD but far from rare. Roger Duvoisin covers this
lightly in his "Parkinson's Disease A guide for Patient and Family" now in
its 4th ed.

Basic advice seems to be 'do what feels good.'  If he wants to wear socks to
bed, there is no practical reason he shouldn't...There are many wild-west
stories of those who wore their boots to bed.

A South-Easterner who prefers barefoot

Will in Salisbury, Maryland