Hi Everyone.

We use two things to help communicate.  One is the intercom system
from Radio Shack which has already been mentioned.  The problem
with this system, for us, is that it plugs into the wall and
doesn't allow for much mobility. We also have a "Personal Pager."
It's a 2 piece system: a button on a cord that can be worn around
the neck, or set on a table, and a pager with a beeping alarm, that
can be clipped to a belt.  (It it therefore only a one-way
communicator, unlike the intercom system.)  I shove it in my pocket
beofre I go into the basement or outside to weed.It has a fairly
nice range, in home only.  It's available from the Adaptability
catalog.

800-937-3482 (M-F 8-8, Sat 8-12pm EST)
Personal Pager
Item# D10275
$39.99 (US) + delivery

My only caveat is that the button could be difficult for some
people who are really " off."  I think they let you order it and
try it, though.

Hope this helps.
Best wishes.

Joanna