Robert Cowan
Subject: Correction to Implant Surgery
You wrote:
>I asked my neurologist why an implant and not a pallidotomy or
>thalamotomy.  Answer:  If the implant would not work, I would
>still be able to have a pallidotomy or thalamotomy; if I had a
>pallidotomy or thalamotomy first it would close any chance for an
>implant.  The implant does not change the virgin nature of the
>brain.

the
result you are looking for is that of a pallidotomy or thalamatomy?  With an
implant you have the problem of placing a foreign body in the brain, replacing
batteries,
and lead wires coming disconnected.
Plus, I find the *virgin* nature of the brain to be much overstated.  As one who
has had
three brain surgeries- adrenal graft, reoval of an omaya shunt, and bi-lateral
pallidotomy - neither of the first two adversely affected the outcome of the
third.

Another perspective from
Don

Dr. Don Berns