Nelson, my husband, 74, began having some problems about six years ago.  He
had no tremors (and has never had them) but his left side was impaired.  He
swam regularly at a spa, but found he could no longer swim.  He lacked
coordination.  He was overcome with weakness.  His limbs were stiff and he
experienced numbness in his left leg and foot. Eventually, in May 1991, he
was diagnosed Parkinson's.  After three years of treatment, the diagnosis was
changed to Multi-System Atrophy.  He had very low response to Sinemet and the
disease progressed rapidly and relentlessly.  Currently he is immobilized and
requires 24 hour care.  He remains here at home and we are fortunate to have
two young women nurse aides to handle his needs for bathing, etc., and to
feed him.  His mind and cognitive processes remain unimpaired, although his
voice is very soft and he has trouble forming the words.  Each day I print
the Parkinson's List and read it to him.  With great effort he dictated the
following.   On behalf of Nelson this responds to several postings over the
last few days......Barbara Q.

1.  Re: Scaly, blotchy skin.  Have never used amantadine or Eldepryl, but
have had the skin problems described since sometime after the onset of
Parkinson's.  Particularly irritating were the itchy spots which were from
very intense itchiness to painful.  They felt like needles.  They were small
red eruptions and some formed a crust.  I treated them with a daily topical
application of 50% DMSO/50% distilled water.  Irritation was greatly reduced
and itching is almost all gone.  (This was not doctor prescribed)There has
been no apparent connection between the skin irritations and the various
medications over the years.  At one time I had reached a level of 1600 mg.
Sinemet daily.
2.  Re Non-Protein diet.  This was recommended to me by one of my doctors,
and followed and it resulted in a weight loss from 153# to 129#.  My alarmed
internist said I was starving to death! We located mail-order company
(Healthy Balance @ Elan Pharm.) whose food is designed for Parkinson's
patients.  It has a ratio of 7 to 1 of carbohydrate to protein.  There is a
range of soups and other canned an powdered foods.  Also my doctor
recommended Ensure Plus.  My weight was regained and so was my strength and
energy to the level allowed by the disease.
3.  Re: Constipation.  This has been an extremely difficult problem to
address, especially since I have become immobile.  The usual roughage of
fruits and vegetablel are supplemented with strained prunes (baby food) and
metamucil.  Early in the morning of every third day, my health aide gives me
a dulcolax suppository.  In th early afternoon, I am tuned on my side and my
aide presses on my stomach with successful results.  The whole process takes
less than 15 minutes.  Compared to earlier efforts with stool softeners,
enemas, the discomfort, etc., this is easy.
4.  Re:  Low Blood Pressure.  Low BP was a problem very soon after diagnosis.
 It happened frequently that BP was 60/40. It was accompanied by visual
distortion and weakness, but I was able to walk to my recliner where I
rested.  BP restored to normal within 30 minutes to 2 hours. When it dropped
to 50/30, I woul lose consciousnes, and one time I ended up in the ER.
 Acardiologist recommended florinef which I still take , 1/2 0.2 mgs every
other day.  This was to effect a leveling of BP between the very high BP in
the morning on arising and the BP drops later in the day.  Since I am now
confined to bed the drops are fewere and less dramatic.  No cause for this
variation could be established.

Best regards, Nelson and Barbara