Since there are some people who are new to the World Wide Web I will
present a brief primer. With most Internet utilities (such as Telnet
and FTP)the host computer is in continuous contact with the remote
computer. This means that the connection is in use even if data are
not being transmitted.  On the web, however, the remote computer
sends the information to the host computer in the form of a "page"
and the link is then disconnected. This frees the link for use by
others while you read the page. Of course this means that when you
request another page that contact must be re-established, a process
that can take over a minute if there are many people trying to
access the site.

(Please note that this connect/disconnect cycle applies to the host
computers only. Your connection to your host is continuous.)

How, then, do WWW chat pages (usually mislabeled rooms) work? The
chat page scrolls and displays the latest messages (exact number
varies). When you initially connect with the page a copy of the
active messages is sent to you and the link terminated. In essence
you now have a "picture" of the page. In order to read any
subsequent messages you have to take another "picture" (usually
referred to as "reloading"). So if you post a message you must
reload to see any replies to it. On most systems this is done by
clicking on Send Chat. (Older systems may have a separate "Update"
button.) Of course, whenever you post a message an updated "picture"
with your message as the latest is automatically transferred to you.

Tips to improve the reload speed.

1.  The faster the modem, the quicker the data transfer (a minimum
speed of 14.4K bps is recommended)

2.  Graphics involve much greater amounts of data than text, so you
can increase the reload speed by turning the graphics capability OFF.

3.  Increase the size of your browser's cache (minimum size is 512K).

Auto Reload

Most chat pages today will have an auto reload feature that is
enabled by setting the number of seconds delay between reloads
(0-300 with 0 = off). I recommend starting about 60 seconds. If you
are engaged in a conversation, I would recommend not using the auto
reload feature because each time it activates anything in the text
box is wiped out. (NOTE: Auto reload does not work with all
browsers.)

Connecting to the Parkinson's Disease Forum chat.

The following URL is for the main entrance to the Mind's Eye Forums
(a subdivision of Gaia 1 Station):

http://www.telepath.com/gaia1/mindseye/forums.html

There will be a drop-down menu with the Forum names on it. Select
"ParkinsonsDisease" and click on Enter Forum. You will now be at the
entrance to the forum where you will be met by the (ro)bot(but)ler.
Type in your name and click on Enter Chat.

I will try to be in the forum from 9-10 PM Eastern Time every day,
but anyone can enter it at any time.

Bruce
54/8
Sinemet CR and Pramipexole
* Middle-age crisis? Not me...I'm too busy enjoying my second
childhood! *