I only met Alan once in person.  That was about a year ago in Phoenix when
he had come over to discuss treatment with Dr. Kurth of the Barrows
Neurological Institute.  He and his wife stopped the night before at a
Mexican restaurant to eat dinner with some of his Parkinsons friends who
knew of his coming.  I was impressed by his intelligence and his serious
but engaging way.  I had already read a great deal of the very interesting
and often very scientific postings he gave to us all on our Net discussion
group.  As we sat down next to each other to eat I introduced myself to
him.,  "Hi, I'm RAT."  In his own quiet and sometimes humorous way, he
neither questioned nor challenged my remark.

The Perseids
(remembering Alan upon his death)

crashing into the august atmosphere
the perseids illuminate the evening sky
and still instill wonder
even after the parabolic function has been charted
even after we left brain understand that they are
little more than space rubble
even after we have watched the stars for 10,000 recorded years
and 10's of 10's of thousands of unrecorded, flint spark years before that
human nature still likes the fire,
human nature still likes the show,
human nature still respects the extraordinaire.

the beauty, the illumination, the death
nothing can be taken back, nothing can be removed from the whole.
each is required to complete the cycle
with every birth ...  a pre-ordainment of death
&, with our disease an understanding that
there will be days of feebleness, there will be days of rage
in the dog days of August...
there will be light; there will be death.

we chose little; we accept much
in a world of randomness run amuck
we find we have been chosen
chosen to learn the meanings of the Greek words for
"stuck"  and  "slow"  and speak of the "dysfunction" in our lives.
we are living dead, slowly entombed and looking out upon
a world that travels much faster than us
a world that puts us aside so we aren't in the way
time travelers stuck in time.

living in the amber slowness of a disease that neither takes us
here nor there ... we float between the past and future
and exist time-locked in each.

better to live like Alan
better to make a noise, to try, to illuminate
with every birth a pre-ordainment of death
with every birth the chance for illumination
but unlike the stars that chance comes to man
only with work,
only with the coaxing of intelligence,
only with honesty and with the courage of your convictions.

human nature still likes the fire,
human nature still likes the show,
human nature still respects the extraordinaire
Alan, this song's for you.

with every meteorite an understanding that
should the capricious randomness of nature
put that meteorite on a collision course with earth
there will be illumination; there will be death