                                 RTK.NET Mail 189926   Aug  8 10:50:29 1996

Great work, Rosemary!  Since I've met with Thornton's LA twice, I can say
with some confidance that the news coverage and the letters from you and
others were probably what helped him turn the corner and decide to cosponsor.
The cause for his reluctance was not due to a lack of support for the goals
of the Udall bill, he is just generally reluctant to cosponsor bills that
are in committees he doesn't sit on because sometimes the bills are altered
into something he would not support by the time they get to floor.  I got
the impression he's gotten burned this way in the pass.  Also helpful was
the fact that his LA for health, Shannon Belchner, is especially compassionate

and after meeting Jim Cordy became more aware of the need for urgency.  But
while she resolved to raise the issue with him again, she also said that
it would probably take letters from Arkansas to get him to sign on.

New cosponsors from Appropriations committees are always helpful, as is all
the press coverage we can get.  In fact, those who wrote the moving letters
to Mohammed Ali recently may want to send your thoughts on the torchlighting
ceremony as letters to the editor of your newspaper.

Sherri