Marcia,

Insertion of a PEG tube is a surgical procedure that is very low risk; a
small hole is made into the stomach, the tube is inserted and secured on
the outside of the abdomen.

Feeding usually begins with water and progresses to high calorie tube
feedings.  Yes, people can still eat once a PEG is inserted.  However, it
seems that you Dad might have difficulty swallowing so continued oral
feeding might not be a good idea.

Care of the tube is very simple.  Site care (cleansing the area with
water and keeping it clean) is usually done once a day.  In the hospital,
we check the residual fluid in the stomach to assess whether or not the
feeding is being retained.  When there is a large amount of feeding
retrieved, we stop feeding until we are confident that the patient is
capable of digesting food again.

Home health care should be provided for your parents until they are
comfortable with maintaining the tube.  Peace of mind comes with knowing
that one's loved one is receiving proper nutrition with little impact on
daily living.
----
Regards
Mary Ann