BULLETIN #2 ON RENA

Tuesday, August 13, 1996

To all,

You are all aware of the electrophysiological ablation (for
cardiac arrhythmia) which Rena had a week ago.  The initial
results were spectacular as the arrythmia disappeared.
Sadly, however, yesterday, the arryhthmia rec
urred (probably the result of insufficient heat energy
applied to the abnormal area), and Rena had several "passing
out" spells again last night, during, of all things, her 19th
birthday party.  She was seen by the doctor
 this morning and the recurrence confirmed (occurs in 5% of
cases).

She was temporarily placed back on medications (Digoxin and a
Beta Blocker) and it appears that the ablation procedure will
have to be repeated.  We are told that the repeat procedure
will be somewhat less stressful than
the first procedure, because the location of the abnormal
area is now known, and repeat "mapping" will not be
necessary.  It will, however, require another puncture across
the septum of the heart, this because the area of
 abnormality is on the left side.  Suggested dates (sooner
rather than later) are August 21 and 28; and, although Rena
right now is in denial and doesn't want to have the procedure
repeated, there is really no choice and
I am going to try and convince her to "go for" the 21st.
This will give her a chance to recuperate before the start of
college (August 28).  I have decided to take off from my
practice tomorrow so that I can spend time w
ith Rena discussing this situation and also to give her the
emotional support that she needs.

So, we are not yet "finished" with this problem.  We all
again ask for your prayers and thoughts.  I will keep you all
posted and again, please forgive the "form letter" nature of
this post.

Best,

Bob
--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
World Wide Web:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"