Dear David,

You wrote:
>Date:    Tue, 6 Aug 1996 23:40:54 -0400
>From:    David Moreland <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: nifedipine

>I am a  Parkie with a blood pressure  problem some of the time. When my
>blood pressure was first shown to be on the high side.
 >The nifedipine is working. Then all afternoon my generic
>Sinemet did not work for me. Has anyone else had a similar experience with
>sinemet and nifedipine?

I had a somewhat similar experience, except that nifedipine was making  me
nearly faint at  least once a day.  "Don't try to be a tragic heroine.  You
don't have the (sculptured) cheekbones for it," said my big sister.  So I
persuaded my internist to try something else.  Very low doses of Vasotec
seem to be working.  But then nothing could be expected to work when the
"blues" take charge, those times when we neglect the basics such as food,
sleep and exercise.

At a recent seminar at Hogue Hospital in Newport Beach, CA, Dr. Mark Stacey
from the Barrows Inst. in Phoenix said, in effect, that Parkinson's "cures"
high blood pressure.  By that he meant perhaps that Parkinson medications
can have a side effect of lowering blood pressure.  He even  highly
recommended that people increase their salt intake!

It would seem to follow that blood pressure medication could be tapered off
if the PD pills are having the same effect.   That's what I've been
negotating with my  doctor.   People who don't have  Parkinson's sometimes
pop a blood pressure pill in anticipation of times of  stress, even "happy
stress".  Maybe that would work for us too.   Also this is where T'ai Chi
and other forms of "mindful" meditation can help us.  There's much more to
learn!

Mary, 48, diagnosed 1990
2x10mg  Vasotec, 3x25/100 mg. Sinemet, 50mg  Pamelor, a bunch of vitamins &
ginger tea