Hi folks:

Just got back from an exhausting vacation in Northern California.

When I got back, I found a package from a relative containing an article
from a journal called "The Genesis Report/RX"  (April 1996).  The article,
entitled "Nicotine's Good Side:  Treating Brain Diseases" is too long to
retype in its entirety but I have excerpted some of the more salient points.
The relative is a bigwig at a Pharmaceutical firm and I believe that this
journal is the standard industry journal.  My personal comments are enclosed
in brakets e.g.,
[this is an example of a personal comment].

NICOTINE'S GOOD SIDE:  TREATING BRAIN DISEASES

SUMMARY
Nicotine - that notorious culprit linked to concer and heart disease - may
have a redeeming quality.  Small-scale clinical trials have found evidence
that nicotine-based compounds, including the nicotine patches used to
control smoking, may be effective in alleviating serious brain disorders
such as Alzheimers and Parkinson's diseases and schizophrenia..................

Several preliminary studies presented at the annual meeting of the Society
for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco indicated that nicotine-based therapy
can improve cognition in people with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases
and schizophrenia.  The compounds studied were targeted nicotine analogs,
the nicotine patches currently marketed for smoking cessation and
formulations......

...Other researchers had previously found that smokers were much less likely
to develop Parkinson's disease, which also indicated that nicotine has some
protective effect on the nicotinic cholinergic receptors in the brain.
According to several researchers, nicotine inserts itself into the snyapses
between enurons and assumes a function similar to acetylcholine............

NICOTINE RAISES COGNITIVE SKILLS
A study by Paul Newhouse MD, director of the clinical neuroscience research
unit in the department of psychiatry at the Unviersity of Vermont School of
Medecine, involved six Alzheimer's disease patients who were given 6-hour
infusions of the drub ABT-418 from Abbot Labs.  The patients experienced a
significant improvement in short-term recall, a substantial decrease in
failure to recall information they had just learned and faster reaction
times..........

He added that he is planning a trial sponsored by Japan Tobacco which has a
large pharmaceutical division, in Alzheimer's patients using a nicotine
patch.....With ABT-418, Newhouse explained, "We saw more improvement in new
learning than in speed, whereas with (pure) nicotine [the nicotine patch] we
see more improvement in speed than in learning, which may be reflecting a
subtle difference in these two compound's activities"  [Also makes me
believe the patch may be appropriate for Parkinson's.  See later discussion
on differences between Alzheimer's and Parkinson's]

Newhouse said correcting the dearth of nicotinic cholinergic receptors is
important in treating both Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease.  "We believe
that those receptors are important for neurotransmitter regulation since
they regulate the release of other neurotransmitters........

In an interview with the Genesis Report, Newhouse said that the nicotinc
cholinergic receptors may also be useful in treating pain....."

........A longitudinal study indicated that the nonsteroidal
anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) ibuprofen, naproxen and indomethacin may
help prevent the onset of Alzheimer's disease..................[I'm not sure
why this is mentioned in this article].

NICOTINE AND PARKINSON'S DISEASE:  DIFFERENT COUNPUNDS NEEDED
Arneric of Abbott Labs said he thinks that different nicotine compounds may
have to be developed for other neurologic diseases.  For example, Sibia
Neurosciences Inc is developing compounds aimed specifically at Parkinson's
diseases........

The cognitive defects are also different in the two diseases.  People with
Alzheimer's disease lose memory, learning capacity and recognition ability.
With Parkinson's disease, .... the deficit is related more to what one would
thing of as alerness, focus and attention and of the speed of thought
processes..........

However, a number of potential Parkinson's disease therapeutics in the final
stages of clinical trials are expected to be marketed lon before any
nicotine-based therapy for the disease is commercially available........

[Here are presented some potential Parkinson's tehrapeutics in the final
stages of clinical trials]

Tolcapone (Hoffman-La Roche):  When patients with mild Parkinson's disease
were withdrawn from tolcapone therapy, 61% suffered a significant
deterioration in their conditions.....

Primipexole (Pharmacia & Upjohn):  Reduced the use of L-dopa in 25% of
advanced Parkinson's disease patients......

Entacapne (Orion Pharma):  Increase duration of motor response in L-dopa by
45 minutes.......

Ropinirole (SmithKline Beecham):  Improved motor function by between 24% and
34% in separate Phase III clinical trials.

[The article goes on to discuss the fact that there seems to be no negative
side effects from the nicotine patches and drugs.  In fact, nicotine
administered in this fashion may improve the outlook for heart disease and
coronary thrombosis etc. There is no mention of nicotine's addictive nature.]

[Smoke 'em if ya' got 'em]  [Hope you found this interesting].