> At a recent seminar at Hogue Hospital in Newport Beach, CA, Dr. Mark Stacey
> from the Barrows Inst. in Phoenix said, in effect, that Parkinson's "cures"
> high blood pressure.  By that he meant perhaps that Parkinson medications
> can have a side effect of lowering blood pressure.  He even  highly
> recommended that people increase their salt intake!
>
> It would seem to follow that blood pressure medication could be tapered off
> if the PD pills are having the same effect.   That's what I've been
> negotating with my  doctor.   People who don't have  Parkinson's sometimes
> pop a blood pressure pill in anticipation of times of  stress, even "happy
> stress".  Maybe that would work for us too.   Also this is where T'ai Chi
> and other forms of "mindful" meditation can help us.  There's much more to
> learn!
> Mary, 48, diagnosed 1990

Be careful with this one.  My husband has had severe hypertension for
years.  We have discovered that it is best to avoid long acting
anti-hypertensive meds which tend to cause episodes of low blood
pressure.  Since most internist think that long acting meds are superior
to shorter acting ones, it is hard to convince them that PD patients need
to fine tune anti-hypertensives because of the action of Sinemet.  Jamies
hypertension persists, but is controlled (he takes Lopressor).
-----
Regards
Mary Ann