 I would be very interested to know how much of this research and how
 much of this conference was funded by tobacco companies, or their
 agents.

 Still, it's worth researching, certainly.  Independently.

 -- garyZ

 I'll be taking a vacation, and setting this list to NOMAIL for a week
 so I don't come back to 1000 messages :-)

NICOTINE'S GOOD SIDE:  TREATING BRAIN DISEASES

SUMMARY
Nicotine - that notorious culprit linked to concer and heart disease - may
have a redeeming quality.  Small-scale clinical trials have found evidence
that nicotine-based compounds, including the nicotine patches used to
control smoking, may be effective in alleviating serious brain disorders
such as Alzheimers and Parkinson's diseases and schizophrenia..................

Several preliminary studies presented at the annual meeting of the Society
for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco indicated that nicotine-based therapy
can improve cognition in people with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases
and schizophrenia.  The compounds studied were targeted nicotine analogs,
the nicotine patches currently marketed for smoking cessation and
formulations......