David Moreland wrote:

> I am a  Parkie with a blood pressure  problem some of the time. When my
> blood pressure was first shown to be on the high side. I was prescribed
> nifedipine  10mg three times  a  day. A few months ago i stopped taking the
> nifedipine and my blood pressure seemed to be stable.

David, I can see why you would want to discontinue nifedipine, and
certainly PWP frequently have hypotension, which complicates matters.
But I would strongly caution anyone not to d/c any blood pressure med
without consulting your personal physician first. Many meds, including
some for hypertension, need to be "weaned" off, not suddenly
discontinued. The reasons is, that some meds are so powerful that the
system becomes sort of "dependent" on the med. A sudden discontinuance
has landed many, many people in the hospital, believe me -- I have
counseled them. Please discuss it with your doctor before stopping.
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,