Hi Bryce Jones

> Here are my questions: do PD medicines sometimes cause
> or aggravate stomach problems?  Is permax a particular
> problem?

YES to both questions! I started taking Pergolide in January, and
suffered from chronic hiccoughs (hiccups?), severe stomach pains,
confusion, depression etc. I went off them in March and got a lot
better, but my tremor developed to a severe extent.

> If so, what can be done about it?

I saw my neurologist last month, and he suggested I went onto
domperidone (sorry, I don't know other names for it, but it is an
anti-nausea treatment) and resumed Pergolide on a lower dosage.

I am now gradually, gradually increasing the Pergolide, and have got to
half a milligram three times a day. I may not get up to the previous
1mg x 3 daily, but the tremor is still reducing.

I haven't suffered the mental side-effects this time, nor the stoch
cramps, but I still hiccup once or twice a day, for no apparent reason!

Incidentally, I got hold of a sheet on Pergolide which confirmed my
concern about it, as it listed the side-effects as:
hallucinations*, confusion, dyskinesia, somnolence, abdominal pain,
nausea, dyspepsia, diplopia rhinitis*, dyspnoea, insomnia, constipation
or diarrhoea*, hypotension, tachycardia*, and arrythmias*
(* those marked with * were the only ones I DIDN'T get!!!)

:-)))

--
Jeremy Browne, Hampshire, UK
Shaking Hands BBS, Fidonet 2:252/160 (+44 1252 621745)