Margaret Tuchman wrote:
> I also called Healthy Balance foods
> The other call I made was to Parkinson's Disease Foundation,

Margaret,
I just received the PDF material in the mail, and will be going through
it shortly. I'm a bit troubled by the incredibly low protein allotted:
.5 gram protein per kg is less than the minimum daily requirements. I've
seen a number of PWP who appear to me to be quite slim if not
underweight; and if the body does not get enough high-quality protein in
the diet, it will begin to break down tissue from muscles and organs to
replace vital aminos needed elsewhere. I wonder how recent this diet
plan is.

However, I shall look up the references that Ann Rutherford has
provided, as well as some others I've found. It may well be that
research shows that this amount is adequate.

At first glance, my preference would be for the 7:1 plan. It allows for
enough calories, enough protein, and (probably) enough calcium via
dietary sources. However, I do understand that PWP all have differing
needs and that some may do best with less protein.

I'd definitely recommend that anyone using .5g protein per kg receive
regular blood tests, and be checked for weight changes, however, as I
believe there is some potential for inadequate protein intake.

Thanks for your help in this!
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,