[log in to unmask] wrote:
> There seems to be a lot of controversy in regards taking supplemental
>iron - particularly women past child bearing age.

Yes, in relatively recent years researchers have found some correlations
between iron and heart disease. It was thought that estrogen was
protective against heart disease, and that it explained why fewer women
than men have heart disease, until post-menopause. Now it's believed
that iron plays a role, and that women regularly lose iron via
menstruation; following menopause, this avenue ceases to exist, and thus
women are at the same risk for heart disease as men. There are some
vitamin pills that do not contain iron. If you are at risk for heart
disease, I'd definitely speak with your physician about the advisability
of using such vitamins.  Your physician will then need to perform blood
tests regularly, to assess your iron status.

>  I have also read that some
> paediatricians do not want babies to take iron in their formula or in
>regular supplements.

(Very big grin!) Sorry -- pediatric nutrition is highly specialized, as
is geriatric nutrition. I chose geriatric nutrition, and I would not be
a good source of information regarding iron supplements in babies'
formula.

> Some neurologists frown on iron supplements for PWP but say it
> is ok to take dessicated liver tablets for slight anemia.  I don't have a
> clear picture on this subject and hope you will comment on this.

I'm not aware of any interactions with PD meds; however, iron
supplements can cause GI distress, anorexia, nausea/vomiting,
constipation, bloating -- and it may be that physicians are concerned
about these possible effects, as they could be additive used in
conjunction with PD meds. Does anyone know of any other reasons why
PWP should not use iron supplements?

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,