 Hi Bob and Philip,
Your comments an large doses of sinemet were very interesting to me. I am
taking 900 mg of levodopa in sinemet but I also need  5mg Permax
(pergolide), And I had a pallidotomy last april.

Visiting the doctor-
Most of us  try to be "on" for neurologist visits   I was very good at
this and my doctor made the same type of comment "wouldn't know you  had
parkinsons" Then a friend commented that her neurologist had a better
attitude  after he saw her in  her "off" state. So I arranged  to do some
"end of dose wearing off" during my next visit.  I walked into clinic,
and by the time I was ready to leave needed to ride in a wheelchair.
Needless to say  my doctor was surprised, always seeing me in what I call
my functional state had not prepared him for the awfulness  of the
not-functioning state.

Variations in Response to Sinemet-
I think you are right in feeling that there are great differences in the
efficiency  of processing and getting good value out of our antiparkinson
meds, particlarly sinemet. You take a lot  but if it works for you--don't
change for the sake of change.  "If it ain't broke don't fix it" is very
true.

However I learned an interesting fact about sinemet last year, when
adjusting my dosage guided by my neuro and Alan Bonander.
There is quite a difference in the bioavailablity of levodopa in CR
sinemet as compared to the regular. sinemet. Approximately 90-95% of the
levodopa in regular sinemet is bioavailable but only 70-75% of the
levodopa in CR is bioavailable.  I found that changing some  CR  to
regular gave me a better day possibly due to more of the good stuff
getting into the brain.

Comments anyone?
Anne Rutherford <[log in to unmask]>
Newfoundland