A few people still seem to be having trouble with the chat room. We
had an active discussion going last night, but two people announced
themselves and then  were not heard from again. I assume that they
thought replies would show up on their screens automatically.

This is not the case when you are on the web. The way it works is
that a  copy of the remote web page is transmitted to your computer
and the link is then released for use by  other computers. In order
to receive any further postings to the page  IT MUST BE RELOADED (on
the PD Chat Room this is done by clicking on "Send Chat"). Depending
on various factors (C PU speed, modem speed, etc.) the reload
process can take anywhere from a few seconds to over a minute. So
not only do you need to reload you also need to remain for a fewe
minutes before assuming no one else  is there.

EXAMPLE (assuming a 45 sec reload delay and a 15 sec reload
transfer, which aare about average):
Person A reloads. One second later person B posts a message. Forty
four seconds later person A reloads again. Fifteen seconds later the
page is displayed on the screen. Person A sees Person B's message
almost a minute after Person B posted it. It takes time to type a
reply (especially wihen you are off!), let's say 15 seconds. Just
before Person A posts the reply, Person B reloads. Assuming Person B
is average, they are not going to see Person A's reply until after
the next reload transfer is finished a minute later. So the total
time from when B posted a message until B sees A's reply can be as
much as two minutes and 15 seconds under normal circumstances.

My rule of thumb when I first post is to reload 30 seconds after the
beginning of the last reload and continue this for at least three
minutes (six reload cycles). Also, if there is no one else there and
I am just waiting I will increase the delay time to two minutes, so
it could be at least three minutes before I respond to your message.

Bruce
54/8
Sinemet CR and Pramipexol
* Experience is what enables us to recognize a mistake the next time
we make it *