Dan Murray wrote:

>Subject:       Deadline for Udall cards.....
>
>If I read all the messages correctly -- the NIH Reauthorization vote on
> Tuesday August 27 is essentially "THE UDALL BILL VOTE" !!
>
>This means all Udall postcards must be sent todayin order to reach
> Washington by Monday.  Also, all 800 calls to Washington, must be made
> by Monday.
>
>Right???
-------------------------------REPLY----------------------------------------

Reading the Action Advisory posted on 8/15, my understanding is that
Sen. Kassebaum's office has to file the 'paperwork' on time, i.e., August
27, in order for Congress to vote AFTER LABOR DAY.
We haven't run out of time yet!

Here is the posting in its entirety:

Subject:        ACTION ADVISORY 8/15/96 - Udall bill

I.  NIH REAUTHORIZATION REPORT.-AUGUST 27, 1996 IS A ONE DAY WINDOW TO FILE
THE NIH REAUTHORIZATION REPORT(containing the Udall bill) SO IT CAN GO
IMMEDIATELY TO THE FLOOR AFTER LABOR DAY.

    ACTION:  EVERYONE NEEDS TO URGE SENATOR NANCY KASSEBAUM AND HER STAFF
DIRECTOR, DR. KENT BRADLEY, TO FILE THE REPORT THAT DAY.  SENATOR KASSEBAUM
CAN BE REACHED THROUGH THE CAPITOL SWITCHBOARD AT (800) 962-3524.
just call and say, "PLEASE FILE THE NIH REAUTHORIZATION  REPORT ON AUGUST
27, 1996."

II.   KEEP THE PRESSURE ON CONGRESS.-Congressman Bilirakis' staff has
admitted that the main reasons he does not want to move the Udall bill are:
     1.  The pressure of calls and letters on the issue of fetal tissue
research;  and
     2.   Other legislation is higher priority.
The best way to counteract this is our own flood of calls and letters to
him and Chairman Bliley.  These are not good reasons to let the Udall bill
die in this Congress.  Please do all you  can to support passage of the
Udall bill during the 104th Congress.

III.   SEPTEMBER CRASH LOBBY-The Senate returns from its August recess on
Tuesday, September 2, and the House will convene the next day.  Both bodies
are scheduled to adjourn for the year on Friday,  October 4,  so there are
precious few legislative days remaining for action on the Udall bill.  In
order to maximize this final opportunity we are coordinating another
grassroots lobbying effort on Capitol Hill.  During the week of September
9-13, we will "work the Hill' with anyone who can come to DC to support
passage of the Udall bill.  It is important to remember that lawmaking is a
dynamic process -- particularly during the closing days of the legislative
session -- and that being in DC for a last hard push just might make the
difference.

If you are unable to attend, you can also play a crucial part by continuing
to write, call, fax and email your legislators.  All your hard work has
gotten us this far, and surely we can find the time and energy to once again
IMPLORE CONGRESS THAT 1996 IS INDEED THE YEAR TO PASS THE UDALL BILL.