On Fri, 23 Aug 1996, Jerry Di Lauro  ([log in to unmask]) asked whether there
were any others practicing Tai Chi.

Jerry:

My wife (who has been diagnosed with PD for 6 years) and I have been practicing
Tai Chi for 6 years now.  Actually it is not a co-incidence that the duration of
her diagnosis and the length of time we have doing Tai Chi are the same!  When
my wife was first diagnosed, her neurologist pointed out that many of his
patients swear that Tai Chi has helped them considerably.  We started going to
the Taoist Tai Chi Society right after that.

I posted a message several years ago on the subject.  The main points I want to
add to what you wrote are as follows:
1) To get the most benefit from Tai Chi it is best to take "formal" classes.  By
doing it from videotapes, etc you do not gain the benefit of the instruction
needed to do it properly. Tai Chi requires individual instruction/correction to
do it right.  Only by doing it properly do you gain the maximum benefit of
stretching, flexibility, and strength.

2) There are many forms of Tai Chi.  Some emphasize the martial arts beginnings
of Tai Chi while others such as the Taoist Tai Chi Society emphasize the
stretching and flexibility more.

3) My wife finds that with Tai Chi she is less "achy" than when she has
neglected it for awhile.  She is finding that she now gets quite tired in the
evenings and therefore has more difficulty in taking an evening class (she still
works full time during the day as a teacher).  During this summer she has taken
morning classes and this has helped considerably.

I have taught a Special Needs class for Tai Chi and these people are among the
strongest advocates of the benefits of Tai Chi.  Many of the members of this
class are stroke victims, people with MS, advanced arthritis, etc. The stroke
patients in particular have found that the Tai Chi has increased their ability
to control their muscles better than from the physiotherapy they had received.
For the special needs class we have developed a variation of the normal Tai Chi
"standing" set which the special needs class can do sitting in chairs.

There are Tai Chi organizations in most major cities.  If you are interested
give them a try!

Norm Ichiyen
(P) Ruth Ichiyen, 48, 6
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada