From:   PARKINSN: Parkinson's Disease - Information Exchange Network on behalf
of Brian Collins
Sent:   Saturday, August 17, 1996 12:00
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        High Sinemet Dosage

To: [log in to unmask]

I have been watching the debate about high intake of Sinemet with interest,
and have a few points to offer:

1/ As a 15 years user of levodopa, I feel that I have just about scraped the
barrel dry in the quest to obtain relief from PD symptoms, and at the same
time avoid the dreaded dyskinesias, which in my case are about as distressing
in their way as the untreated PD symptoms.  In my case, the limiting flow
rate of levodopa is equivalent to about 1100 mg of levodopa per day. ( Note
that I only count the levodopa content, not the Carbidopa - I think that is
a more correct way to do it).

2/ I find the thought of dosages in the 2000mg plus range make my hair stand
on end, knowing what such a dose would do to me, but in actual fact (and
having discussed it with my Neurologist) I believe that we are really looking
at variations in people's digestive system characteristics. In this respect I
am in agreement with Robert D Bowling. Note: If we are talking records, a
friend of mine here in Derby takes 3000 mg (Of levodopa only) daily!

3/ While I think about it, I would like to remind people who take high doses
of sinemet that levels of Carbidopa above about 40 to 50 mg per day are all
that is required to protect the levodopa on its journey to the brain, and
further exposure can be produce adverse reactions. e.g: It is better to
use Sinemet (100mg levodopa, 10mg carbidopa) instead of Sinemet Plus (100mg
levodopa, 25mg Carbidopa.

4/ I have always operated on the principle that between the flow rate of
levodopa required to stop PD tremor, and the flow rate to produce dyskinesias,
there is a gradually closing window within which satisfactory effects can be
achieved. I have written myself a computer program to calculate that window,
and for the last two to three years I believe that the program has made a
significant difference to my quality of life. In the last paragraph of his
email Robert Bowling describes (tongue in cheek) a device which does just what
my program does.  How would you like to be my Sales Manager Robert?

5/ I will repeat an offer which I made some time ago, to use the program to
try to help anyone who is getting up to that 'sharp end' and fiding difficulty
in achieving a satisfactory dosage. To do this, I will require from you about
7 days detailed records of your drug intake and your reactions to the drugs,
presented in a format which I think you  will find interesting. Please write
to me if you are interested.

Regards,
         Brian Collins    <[log in to unmask]>