As promised, I've been working to put together a comprehensive list of
drugs:
1)commonly used in PD
2)to be avoided or used with caution

Stage 1 is now finished. I have combined Neal Slatkin's "An examination
of meds both commonly....." with Alan Bonander's "Problem Drugs in PD"
and Joy Graham's "Drugs to be given with caution" from Australia. I have
reduced these to a pretty basic listing of drug types/brand
names/generic names. I've included all the brand names I can find, and
if anyone knows of any other brands, used in UK, Asia, etc., please let
me know so I can include them.

I'm now working on Stage 2, which is to write out a list of possible
adverse reactions for each drug (where known). This will take some time,
but  people will be able to print it out and take it to their
pharmacist/doctor/prospective surgeon or anesthetist to determine what
possible side effects might be in store. It will include anecdotal
evidence from this list, as well as any known pharmacological
information. It's going very slowly, but in the meantime, you can access
the three starter lists from the archives. Eventually, this new list
will be available in the archives, too; and Margaret Monty has offered
to post it to the website as well, with hot links between drug names
and drug information.

I need some help, though. I'd like to e-mail the base list to someone
who will cross-check it against the Slatkin, Bonander, and Australian
lists, and make sure I've gotten everything included. As you can
imagine, the cut-and-pasting left me cross-eyed after awhile, and I'm
now at a point that I wouldn't recognize a mistake if it bit me.

It shouldn't take very long; you need to retrieve the archived lists,
and compare them to my new compilation, then make any changes and e-mail
my edited list back to me. I'll include any changes in Stage 2.

Thanks to any prospective volunteer!
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,