>disks.  Also, make sure you have the newest version of 'scan' which is
>usually available to download from the web.  I will ask one of our
>members, "John S. Walker" <[log in to unmask]>, to post a 'how-to'
>message about downloading from the web.

In order to help protect your system from virus infection you should
periodically scan the system itself for viri and always scan any program you
download immediately. One of the best programs I have found for this is
Mcafee's Virus Scan. This is a shareware program and can be obtained on the
Web at:

http://www.pioneer.wnyric.org/pub/mirror/mcafee.com/antivirus/

There are two versions of the file for DOS:

scn-251e.zip   452,098  VirusScan for DOS, Version 2.5.1 with (9607) .DAT file
                        - User installed
scni251e.zip   692,731  VirusScan for DOS, Version 2.5.1 with (9607) .DAT file
                        - Self Installed

These are also available by anonymous FTP at ftp.mcafee.com in the
/pub/antivirus/ directory.

PLEASE NOTE: scan is updated and should be downloaded at least once every
three months and re-installed. There are versions available for the Mac,
OS2, Unix Etc.

You will require Pkunzip to uncompress these files. This is available
anywhere on the net. You might want to try
http://www.netlink.co.uk/users/newbies/unzipp~1/intro.html as this will get
you a copy of the program and help.

A program called Autoscan autosn32.zip works well with Virus Scan and
various compression programs. It will create a secure directory and then
unzip and scan the file downloaded for viri and errors. It can be obtained from:

ftp://ftp.loria.fr/pub/pc/simtel20/virus/

autosn32.zip  B   36925  910609  Checks ZIP/other archives for virus infection

If you do not have anything but emial access then send me a note to
[log in to unmask] and I will send you a copy of how to download by email.

John S. Walker
Central Supply & Services